The pandemic is a great tragedy. It caused great devastation to our health system. In the early part of this crisis, the US government enumerated the possible adverse effects of the virus on the other parts of the body. We also saw many people suffer from its lingering symptoms. Beyond all the heartaches and pain, we came to value life.
This lesson will have more meaning if we apply it to reality. Let it not become some obscure fact in our children’s textbook. We can show how much we value our life if we take care of ourselves. With that said, allow us to enumerate the ways on how to become healthier.
We often take sleep for granted. But it is an essential body function that will keep us healthy. It does not only give us energy for the next day. It is also the time when our body repairs itself. Many doctors linked sleep deprivation to several grave ailments, such as:
- High Blood Pressure
- Cardiovascular issues
We might already understand the importance of sleep. But most of us usually find it hard to sleep. The US government mentioned that 1 in 3 people do not get enough sleep. We often complain that we do not have the luxury to sleep at least 8 hours a day.
Of course, you can do blame your numerous responsibilities for your sleep deprivation. Or you can choose to alleviate your current circumstances. It requires some changes to your lifestyle. But it is all worth it. Here are some tips to get you that much-needed 8-hour sleep:
- Nature’s Brew – They say that a glass of wine every day is good for your heart. In this case, a pint of beer with galaxy hops can be good for your soul. Scientists have been using this to treat insomnia and other sleeping disorders, anxiety, and irritability. You may want to take advantage of Mother Nature’s gift by indulging in a pint once in a while. Please take note that moderation is the key here.
- Cutting Back on Caffeine – It takes our body six to eight hours to digest food. With this in mind, you should cut back on your caffeine intake by 3 pm. Let us say that you drank another cup at 6 pm. Following the timeline, this would mean that it will keep your brain stimulated up to 12 MN.
- Establish a Routine – Our bodies work better if we establish a routine. Setting a sleeping and waking up time will help your circadian rhythm. Once you settle in this cycle, you will find yourself sleepy at a particular hour.
Exercise is another essential bodily function. But with the pandemic still raging on, we may have some reservations about going out to exercise. Our current living situation makes yoga the best option for physical activity.
Yoga helps us meet the required physical activity and can also help us relax. It incorporates stretches with breathing. As you move up to immediate poses, you also improve your concentration skills. What is even better is that you can do it in the comfort of your own home.
Most people who have not tried yoga are afraid of its complicated positions. But you do not have to start with those. You can start with something simple such as standing. Here are a few poses that you can try:
- Mountain Pose – Let us start with this position because this is simply standing in a correct posture. When you do this, you slowly withdraw yourself from the chaos of the world.
- Tree Pose – Once you calm down, you can move to this pose. It improves your balance while strengthening your calves, thighs, and spine. But you should skip this if you have low blood pressure or vertigo.
- Triangle Pose – This position strengthens your legs while stretches your hips, spine, calves, and hamstring. It also increases your endurance. But you should also skip this if you are prone to headaches or have low blood pressure.
- Downward-Facing Dog – This position is a must for parents who ask their kids to join them for yoga. Our children often do this unintentionally. After a tiring day facing your laptop, this will relieve back pain.
- Plank – You can slowly transition to this position. It strengthens your shoulders, arms, and legs. What is even better about this is that it can tone your abs. But you must avoid this if you are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome.
With a balanced diet, these tips can help you achieve better health. You would feel years younger as your energy levels go up. You will also be more at peace.